Training for immigrants
Are you looking for new career paths or educational opportunities in the Turku region?
Turku Vocational Institute offers vocational study options for immigrants within the Turku region. We offer basic education for adults, preparatory programs, and vocational education and training with special attention to Finnish language skills. We can help you integrate into the Finnish society and find a path to the Finnish working life.
- A variety of basic vocational qualifications in Finnish and Swedish with extra attention to language learning
- Specialist vocational qualifications and further vocational education and apprenticeship contract training
- Adult basic education for immigrants who have not completed their basic education
- Preparatory education (VALMA) for immigrant adults and youth
To study at Turku Vocational Institute, you need to:
- have a sufficient level of Finnish or Swedish to manage the studies (adult basic education excluded). At the moment, we do not offer studies in English.
- be a citizen of the European Union or, if you come from outside the EU, you need to have a valid residence permit to Finland or have an active asylum application to Finland in process.
- be able to find accommodation and support yourself financially during your studies – read more on the Finnish Immigration Service website. Turku Vocational Institute does not have a student dormitory. TAI students can apply for housing with the Turku Student Village Foundation.
Vocational Qualification Studies
To learn more about studying at TAI or applying, contact our Guidance and application services (page in Finnish):
- +35840 186 5208
Adult Basic Education
We offer basic education for adult immigrants of 17 years and above who have not completed their basic education, or who have no educational background. The education is free.
We offer three levels of basic education. You can study at the level of your needs:
- the literacy training phase (where you learn how to read and write)
- the introductory phase (where you obtain the basic knowledge, language and study skills to complete your basic education)
- the final phase (where you get a Finnish basic education certificate which allows you to move on to upper secondary education)
More info on Adult Basic Education at TAI (page in Finnish).
Preparatory Education for Vocational Studies (VALMA)
We offer one-year preparatory programs for both youth and adults who do not have a secondary level qualification and who need to improve their study and language skills, working life knowledge and other common subjects before entering a vocational study program. You can even complete parts or modules of a vocational qualification during VALMA.
To study in a VALMA program, a sufficient level of Finnish language skills is required to manage the studies. The application to VALMA is continuous – you can apply all year-round.
More info on Preparatory Education at TAI (page in Finnish).
Vocational Study Councellor (VALMA)
tel. +35840 621 3152